I am taking this Sunday to relax and to prepare food. My uncle generously gifted me a smoker, so I plan to keep it smoking for the duration of my time in Cochrane.
Last weekend, my cousin Adam harvested two beautiful White Tail Does with his bow: I was fortunate enough to recieve two Rib Eyes from these glorious animals. I made Pho from one of them, and I am going to smoke the second. Here is a step by step walk through of the process.
1. Soak the woodchips for 15 minutes to half an hour. You can do the rest of the prep as they soak.
2. Prepare a rub compiled of the following ingredients: 1/2 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp smoked paprika, 1/2 tsp onion powder. These amounts will be ample for a three pound roast.
3. Remove all fat and silver skin from the roast. This is very important as the ‘wild taste’ that is so off putting to some resides in these parts of the beast.
4. Rub Worchestershire Sauce into the roast.
5. Rub the spices into the roast.
6. Put the roast into the preheated smoker for 15 minutes.
7. Add soaked wood chips.